According to local Catholics, it’s a good weekend for golf and other benefits, whether it’s a family whose dad suffered a paralyzing stroke or a hair cut for kids with leukemia. It’s also the fifth week of Easter. Don’t forget Mass.
Golf benefits — Choose the charity or location that works best for you. If registration has lapsed, most will have other on-site activities to support.
- St. Peregrine Cancer Shrine: May 5 at Arizona Golf Resort in Mesa
- Catholic teens: May 5 at Ahwatukee Country Club. Helps St. Andrew the Apostle teens attend national conferences, local retreats and service projects.
- Knights of Columbus charities: May 5 at Luke Air Force Base Golf Course in Waddell
Family fundraiser — 10 a.m.-10:30 p.m. May 5 at Carl’s Jr., 3380 N. Hayden Road (south of Osborn) in Scottsdale. Includes raffle for Legoland tickets, face painting, activities and entertainment. 25 percent of sales will benefit a St. Maria Goretti family (The dad suffered a stroke). Must show related article or event flyer. See Event Facebook page.
Cuts for the Kids — May 5 at Cutting Edge Style Academy in Peoria. St. Jerome School organized a cut-a-thon benefiting the Childhood Leukemia Foundation’s Hugs-U-Wear program. Clients with at least 10 inches of hair to be cut off and donate qualify for a free haircut. Appointments recommended. Event flyer.
Open house — 10 a.m.-1 p.m. May 6 at Our Lady of Mount Carmel School in Tempe (Rural south of Broadway). Info. Several Catholic schools are still accepting applications for the 2012-13 school year. Find a school nearest you or a parent’s work site.
50th anniversary — St. Jerome Parish
- Concert— 7 p.m. May 4 featuring past and present music directors and Mass leaders
- Mass — 10 a.m. May 6. Bilingual. (Special Mass time)
- Picnic — 11 a.m. May 6