Key ‘life’ events marking the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade (related story) plus the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Junior’s “I Have a Dream” speech.
Martin Luther King Jr. Mass — 2:30 p.m. Jan. 21 at St. Mary’s Basilica in downtown Phoenix (map). Prelude featuring music and a live re-telling of King’s “I Have a Dream Speech” starts at 2:30 p.m. with Mass at 3 p.m. Homilist is a former Phoenix pastor who has since been reassigned through the Vincentian order of priests. Full story.
TV Mass and ‘Catholics Matter’ — 9 a.m. Jan. 20 at Ss. Simon and Jude Cathedral (map), livestream online and on 1310AM Immaculate Heart Radio. Join Bishop Olmsted, Fr. Lankeit or Fr. Matt as one of them celebrates the Second Sunday in Ordinary Time. Skyline Productions, in partnership with the diocesan Office of Communications, brings the TV Mass live into the homes of homebound Catholics via the TV, Internet and radio. More than 65,000 Arizona viewers tune in each week.
Blessed Thomas of Celano (part of Franciscan Mentors program) — 9 a.m.-noon Jan. 19 at the Franciscan Renewal Center in Scottsdale. Blessed Thomas wrote three hagiographies about St. Francis of Assisi. Fee: $25. Details.
Straight Talk Theology: Keeping Alive the Spirit of Vatican II — 9-10:30 a.m. Jan. 20 at the Franciscan Renewal Center in Scottsdale. Fee: suggested $10 per person. Details.
- Youth and Young adult Rally for Life — 7-10 pm. Jan. 19 at ASU’s Memorial Union in Tempe.
- Mass for Unborn — 11 a.m. Jan. 20 at St. Francis Xavier Parish (map) in Phoenix.
- A People of Life on EWTN Global Showcase — 8 p.m. Jan. 18 on EWTN. A look at the pro-life movement in North America, and the Knights of Columbus’ support and involvement.
The Vitae Monologues — 3 a.m. Jan. 19 on EWTN. A moving drama that was presented live in Arizona by Jeremy Stanbary of Epiphany Studio Productions a few years ago. Drama deals with abortion and its impact upon the lives of several characters.
- EWTN Gallery: Echoes of Our Choices — 4:30 p.m. Jan. 18 on EWTN. Neonatologist Robin Pierucci and Dr. Tom Hilgers, pioneers of NaPro Technology, discuss the underlying causes of infertility and how NaPro has helped women achieve natural pregnancies.
Genocide in America: In Your Backyard (from EWTN on Location) — noon Jan. 19 on EWTN. Planned Parenthood has a history of targeting minorities, particularly African-Americans. Star Parker discusses this and the culture on special privileges to those who claim fault for their actions.
Mother Angelica Live Classics: Road to Emmaus — 5 p.m. Jan. 19 on EWTN. Mother talks about the disciples on the road to Emmaus. They did not recognize Jesus at first but isn’t it true that we often don’t recognize Him either?
‘The Passion of Bernadette’ — 6 p.m. Jan. 19 on EWTN. Sequel to the acclaimed film, ‘Bernadette: Her Vision Became A Legend’, explores St. Bernadette’s life with the Sisters of Charity of Nevers.
Plus from our Sunbeams daily event calendar:
- rummage sale at a Scottsdale parish
- immigration consultation
- Franciscan Evangelical Life retreat