Celebration of Heroic Love and Life — 7 p.m. Jan. 26 at Xavier College Preparatory. Annual event raises money for the diocesan JPII Resource Center for Theology of the Body. This marks the second straight year that George Weigel, a papal biographer, will speak at the event. Tickets: $10. Related story and interview on The Bishop’s Hour.
Real Presence of Jesus — 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Jan. 26 at St. Steven Parish in Sun Lakes (map). Learn about medical and personal miracles from a surgeon who founded the Marian Fathers’ apostolate Eucharistic Apostles of The Divine Mercy. Flyer.
St. Timothy Feast Day festival — 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Jan. 26 followed by 5 p.m. Mass at St. Timothy Parish in Mesa (map). Food and craft vendors, rock wall, bounce house, obstacle course and more. Flyer.
National School Choice Week kickoff concert — 6:30 p.m. Jan. 25 at Phoenix Convention Center. Kickoff concert to promote National School Choice Week, which coincides with Catholic Schools Week. Both are times for campuses to celebrate what makes their school unique and bring in prospective students through open houses and other activities. Info.
- “Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul: Celebration of Vespers” — 3-4:30 p.m. Jan. 25 on EWTN. Pope Benedict XVI will preside over this service of evening prayer from Rome’s Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls.
March for Life — 7 a.m. Jan. 25 on EWTN. Full, on-the-ground coverage (six hours) of the most important pro-life event of the year: the 2013 March For Life in Washington, D.C.
- Closing Mass of the National Prayer Vigil — 5:30 a.m. and 10 p.m. Jan. 25 on EWTN. Bishop Kevin J. Farrell of Dallas is scheduled to serve as celebrant and homilist at this liturgy, broadcast live from the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
Walk for Life West Coast — 12:30 p.m. Jan. 26 on EWTN. Father Mark Mary and Doug Barry cover the Walk for Life West Coast in San Francisco, with coverage of the speeches plus special interviews with dynamic pro-life leaders and participants in the walk. Also on 1310AM Immaculate Heart Radio and online, which shows event starting at 11:30 a.m. It’s unclear what time zone that is.
Central and Eastern Europe: A Return to Life — 8 p.m. Jan. 25 on EWTN. Part of the EWTN Global Showcase series. Efforts are underway to return Eastern Europe to a culture of life after the devastating effects abortion policies have had on former Soviet Union nations.
- St. Giana Beretta Molla: A Modern Day Hero of Divine Love — 4:29 p.m Jan. 25 on EWTN. St. Gianna Molla was a physician, wife, and mother who refused an abortion, despite knowing that this pregnancy could result in her death.
- Stem Cells: The hope, the hype, the truth — 11 a.m. Jan. 26 on EWTN. Part of EWTN On Location series. Dr. James Rosetti presents a slide presentation on adult stem cell research versus embryonic stem cells and clears up the misunderstandings in this ongoing debate.
The Light from one Small Life — noon Jan. 26 on EWTN. Two Franciscans and one doctor travel to San Antonio and Honduras to tend to a little girl named Myrna who was born with a bilateral cleft lip. Because of her condition, Myrna was unable to effectively eat and was on the verge of starving to death.
Plus from our Sunbeams daily event calendar:
- ‘From our hearts to His’ Mothers’ Mass
- Citizenship classes