“We are holding a hearing with the goal of initiating a discussion of Arizona’s execution policy for the public,” according to the Death Penalty Alternatives for Arizona website.
Featured participants include:
- Senators Ed Ableser and David Bradley and Representative Ethan Orr, plus other legislators
- Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery
- Auxiliary Bishop Eduardo Nevares of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix
- Alan Tavassoli, criminal defense attorney for capital cases
- Reverend Oscar Tillman, President of the Maricopa County branch of the NAACP
- Carol Gaxiola, Director of Homicide Survivors
- Timothy LaSota of the law firm Tiffany & Bosco and a death penalty advocate
- Larry Hammond, an attorney who clerked for Justice Powell
- John Johnson, Professor Emeritus of Justice Studies at ASU
The event is free and open to the public. Parking will be available on the east side of the building, off of Jefferson Street.