It’s not too early to shop for Christmas. In fact, it’s now or never at some parishes holiday boutiques. I scored some great deals at one parish’s Christmas boutique and missed my chance at another. Just so you don’t miss your chance, here are some ideas of where to shop and who will benefit from your purchase:
- Holiday House — 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Nov. 17 at St. Henry Parish in Buckeye (map). Find handmade afghans, quilts, jewelry, floral arrangements, religious articles plus a raffle for electronics and silent auction for other items. Flyer.
- Christmas Bazaar — 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Nov. 17 at San Francisco de Asís School in Flagstaff (map). Admission is 50 cents for adults and free for kids.
- Wreaths — Order a 12-inch, decorated, homemade evergreen Advent wreath (with candles and prayer card) now for pickup Nov. 25-27 at Annunciation Catholic School in Cave Creek (map — shares campus with St. Gabriel Parish). Proceeds will help purchase a large Mary statue for the campus. Info: call Denise (623) 670-8670 or the school (480) 361-8234.
Christmas cards — order by phone or online by Dec. 19 from St. Joseph the Worker. Choose up to three designs all created by a St. Joseph the Worker Jesuit volunteer. Funds will support clients seeking a path out of homelessness through meaningful employment. Mix and match designs and an optional personal message. Send the cards yourself or let St. Joseph the Worker do it.
Call Candace at (602) 223-3467, email email@example.com.
- Craft fair — 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Nov. 23 at All Saints Parish in Mesa (map). More than 30 vendor tables.
- Children’s book at Our Lady of Guadalupe Monastery — anytime online or onsite (map). Bibi Hernandez, a lay Benedictine, wrote and illustrated “Ryker’s Very Different Night Before Christmas” to give it a southwestern flare. Cost: $21 includes shipping. Proceeds support the monastery which is open for private/group retreats; offers a community garden, spiritual direction, a thrift shop and more. Info.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Aprons also available.
- Bilingual ornament sale (Great gift for Spanish teachers!) — after all Masses Dec. 1 at Blessed Sacrament in Tolleson (map). Cost: $5 with proceeds supporting the parish’s faith formation program. Ornament (photo) comes with a brief, bilingual story book. Info.
- Tea and Boutique — 7:45 a.m.-2 p.m. Dec. 6 at Ss. Simon and Jude School (map).
By the way, even if some of these destinations are a little out of your typical route, it may be worth the drive. You can probably head to Mass while you’re at most of these sites. Plus you’re not likely to find such friendly sales associates at retail stores like you will at our parishes.
And should you miss all of these events or not finish your shopping at these venues, don’t forget to skim your bulletin for info on the parish or school’s scrip program. You can buy gift cards for everyday retailers and restaurants. Give them as gifts or use them to buy gifts and a portion of your bill benefits the parish/school.