The time to shop for the remaining Fridays in Lent is now.
- A digital, reusable coupon at Fry’s, good through Feb. 16, gets you a discount on salmon and shrimp.
- The current Food City ad has a full column of “Lenten Specials/Ofertas para la Cuaresma.” They include tilapia, shrimp, catfish nuggets and more.
- Albertsons has a special “Get Hooked on 4x Lent Savings” column in its ad this week. It offers four times the amount of gas or grocery rewards when you buy certain shrimp, tilapia, Pacific cod, lobster, catfish, salmon or ahi that’s already on sale.
Safeway has similar sales branded under “Wild Caught Lent Seafood Savings.”
- This special “Lenting a Hand” page within Gardein’s site gets you a $1 off coupon. Use it on any of their 28 frozen meatless products as substitutes for burgers, meatballs, pork, chicken tenders. etc.
- Omaha Steaks expanded its World Port Seafood brand and released a related website, www.WorldPortSeafood.com, plus opened a special hotline, 1-800-315-FISH (3474) to go with it.
- Don’t forget, your trusty Lenten recipes from CRS Rice Bowl!
Or, if you’re more in the mood to allow someone else to prepare your fish or Lenten soup, re-visit “Family, Fridays and Fish” from our Lent 2017 issue. As an interesting side note, Friday night fish dinners are so popular in the St. Louis area that the local secular paper prints an annual map of where to find them.
UPDATE Feb. 16
Or, if fish, fast food-style aligns more with your craving, you’ll appreciate this “Fishy Story for Friday” and the Fellowship of Catholic University Students’ consumer report on fast food fish.