2024 Permanent Deacon Cohort Applications
Dcn. Doug Bogart
Associate Director of Education and Formation
Office of the Diaconate
Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted endorsed the establishment of a new diaconal formation cohort. This group of men, with the support of their wives and families, will work together for the next five years toward ordination as permanent deacons in the Diocese of Phoenix in the fall of 2024.
To be considered for admission a man must meet the canonical requirements as established by Rome as well as the requirements set by the bishop. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- between the ages of 30 and 55;
- current enrollment or completion of the Kino Catechetical Institute program;
- a minimum of five years as a baptized member of the Church;
- two years of ministry in the candidate’s local parish;
- three years of marriage (if not married, willing to commit to a lifetime of celibacy);
- citizenship or permanent residency status with an address within the Diocese of Phoenix; and
- a letter of recommendation from the candidate’s pastor received by July 31, 2019.
Inquiry Meetings will be held as follows:
- 6:30-9:30 p.m. Wed., Jan. 23, at St. Bernadette, 16245 N. 60th St., Scottsdale;
- 6:30-9:30 p.m. Wed., Feb. 6, at Holy Cross, 1244 S. Power Rd., Mesa;
- 9 a.m.-noon, Sat., Feb. 9, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 5614 W. Orangewood Ave., Glendale; and
- 9 a.m.-noon, Sat., March 9, Immaculate Conception, 700 N. Bill Gray Rd., Cottonwood.