The following parishes celebrate a birthday this month. Is yours one of them?
Only two of them are younger than the diocese itself with the others established before Dec. 2, 1969.
*=still the only Catholic church serving the city
- May 5, 1956 St. Henry* (Buckeye)
The second of three parishes established that year.
Currently raising funds for a new church with donors in 43 of the 50 states so far plus pledges from the Philippines and several other countries.
Parish website and capital campaign site
- May 10, 1969 Our Lady of the Lake* (Lake Havasu City)
Second-to-last parish established before the Diocese of Phoenix was formed.
- May 11, 1947 St. Margaret Mary* (Bullhead City)
First chapel was purchased in the area that is now “Davis Camp” on the Nevada border.
Fr. Peter Dobrowski has been pastor since 1991.
- May 11, 1965 St. John Vianney* (Sedona)
Grounds include three prayer grottos and a Mary Garden
- May 12, 1962 St. Jerome (35th Avenue north of Peoria Avenue)
Eudist Father Andres Arango, pastor since 2005, is the parish’s fifth pastor
- May 12, 1962 St. Louis the King (Maryland and 43rd Avenue in Glendale)
Tucson’s Bishop selected the parish name to honor Arizona’s early French missionaries.
- May 13, 1961 St. Daniel the Prophet (Hayden Rod north of McKellips in Scottsdale)
Named in honor of Tucson’s retired bishop
First Mass celebrated in a Motorola Plant for 647 people
- May 15, 1953 Ss. Simon and Jude Cathedral (27th Avenue north of Bethany Home Road)
The diocese’s Mother Church and the seat of the bishop
- May 20, 1988 St. Steven* (Dobson and Riggs in Sun Lakes)
Originally a mission of St. Mary Parish in Chandler
- May 22, 1946 St. Catherine of Siena (Central Ave. south of Southern)
First church was an Army barracks building that parishioners remodeled.
- May 25, 1980 St. Patrick (Shea Blvd. west of Loop 101 in Scottsdale)
Fr. Eric Tellez has been pastor since 1995.