We’re halfway through Advent. This weekend offers opportunities to prepare your heart for Christ’s coming and embracing God’s will. There’s also plenty of chances to give back by giving blood and shopping local thrift stores for gifts. Need a break? Make it a holiday-themed movie night.
Shakedown — 7-9 p.m. Dec. 14 at St. John Vianney Parish in Goodyear. This family event celebrates being Catholic through music, spoken word and creative presentation.
Growing in faith to see the will of God — 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Dec. 15 at Mount Claret Retreat Center (54th Street north of Camelback Road). Hosted by local Serra Club members who pray daily for religious vocations. Those who privately pray for vocations are also welcome. Bring Bible and rosary. Bishop Nevares will preside, offer a reflection and celebrate Mass. Expect free time for personal prayer or sharing with others. Cost: $10 per person which includes lunch and spiritual handouts. Donations benefit Serra Club efforts for the diocesan Office of Vocations. Info: Tom email@example.com or (602) 418-5206.
Movie night — 7 p.m. Dec. 14 at St. Mary’s High School. For seventh- and eighth-graders interested in attending St. Mary’s High School. Watch “Elf,” rated PG while enjoying popcorn, candy and soda. Free admission, but RSVP is required. Parents must call: (602) 256-4909. Flyer.
For movie fans of other ages, check out Our Sunday Visitor‘s Catholic guide to the holiday movie season.
Thrift store half off — Dec. 14-16. Half off at St. Vincent de Paul’s thrift store in Phoenix.
Also Dec. 15-16 at St. Vincent de Paul’s thrift store in Mesa.
- Dec. 15: Half off most items, special red tag pricing on furniture, free hot dogs, pictures with Santa 9-11 a.m.
- Dec. 16: half off and red tag sale continues
- For a look at other thrift stores that support local Catholic outreach, re-visit our “thrift store edition” of the weekend calendar.
…while you’re shopping, Catholic Charities’ DIGNITY Program said its outreach team is always in need of these supplies to help prostituted individuals leave the streets.
Donate blood — Dec. 16 before/after Masses at the following parishes:
- Blessed Sacrament in Scottsdale (7:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)
- Our Lady of Joy in Carefree (7:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)
- St. Henry in Buckeye (8 a.m.-1 p.m.)
- St. John Vianney in Goodyear (8 a.m.-1 p.m.)
- Blessed Sacrament in Tolleson (9 a.m.-2 p.m.)