Phoenix hit 118 degrees June 19. Forecasts predict 119-120 degrees today.
Here’s a look at how some Catholic organizations and parishes are bearing through it:
- St. Vincent de Paul staff and volunteers provide extended hours for heat relief. Dining room guests can seek air-conditioned comfort during the hottest hours of the day at least five days a week and daily in some dining rooms. In previous years, it was just on days that the National Weather Service issued excessive heat warnings.
- Vincentian conference president — and recent convert — stops his car to be a Good Samaritan
#ICYMI Proud to have volunteers like David at our food pantries. He exemplifies what it means to show love to others https://t.co/sYBql6gNKe
— St. Vincent de Paul (@SVdP) June 15, 2017
- Paz de Cristo in Mesa continues to serve as a hydration station.
- You can’t have too many pictures of water. St. Joseph the Worker has an ongoing water drive. Sundt Construction kicked it off in May. Staff meets with clients at the Human Services Campus and other shelters to help them find and secure meaningful employment. A cool water bottle always helps!
And more water for the homeless
- Want to be eco-friendly? The honor society at Rio Salado College is collecting resuable plastic water bottles and toiletries through June 24. Proceeds will be delivered to André House. They’re collecting a ton of other hygiene items and toiletries too. If your commute doesn’t take you near Rio Salado, just deliver these items yourself to André House.
- Blankets? In this heat? Absolutely! Here’s why:
- Construction crews at St. John Paul II High School are going strong despite the elements.
Masonry should be finished today! #catholiceducation; #diocesephoenix; #nashvilledominicans pic.twitter.com/8ePKubVXm1
— St. John Paul II HS (@jp2catholicaz) June 20, 2017
- Vacation Bible School got off to a great start at St. Timothy Parish in Mesa June 19, but by the evening, a power outage in the area cancelled parish events Monday night. Regular activities resumed today.
- Parish activities cancelled on the Gila River Indian Reservation
*ANNOUNCEMENT* Pryr mtg is canceled tonight due to an electrical fire knocking out power to the church. Chk out Fcbk for more info! #FHS pic.twitter.com/Kh9l9FQ6hg
— Franciscan Friars HS (@BecomeFire) June 20, 2017
- Too hot to cook? St. Mary Magdalene Parish in Gilbert has a solution. Grab this flyer and present it at Baci Italian Bistro in Mesa (Germann and Ellsworth). The restaurant will donate 15 percent back to the parish in support of its For the Glory of the Risen Lord Capital Campaign. Dine-in dates are June 19-22, July 17-20 and Aug. 21-24.