WASHINGTON (CNS) — Here are some new books that might be useful for your spiritual reading during Lent and the Easter season:
Specifically for Lent 2020
- “Sacred Space for Lent 2020” by the Irish Jesuits. Loyola Press (Chicago, 2020). 98 pp., $3.95.
- “Messages of Trust for Lent 2020” by Michael White and Tom Corcoran. Ave Maria Press (Notre Dame, Indiana, 2019). 64 pp., $1.95.
- “The Living Gospel: Daily Devotions for Lent 2020” by Greg Kandra. Ave Maria Press (Notre Dame, Indiana, 2019). 196 pp., $2.25.
Focuses the heart and mind on repentance and renewal via two-page daily devotion
- “The Wind, the Fountain and the Fire: Scripture and the Renewal of the Christian Imagination, The 2020 Lent Book” by Mark Barrett. Bloomsbury Continuum (New York, 2020). 192 pp., $15.
A monk opens the Psalms as the gateway to scriptural prayer
- “2020: A Book of Grace-Filled Days” by Amy Welborn. Loyola Press (Chicago, 2019). 408 pp., $14.95.
It began with the church year in Advent 2019 and continues through 2020
Journeying with Jesus
- “Jesus, Friend of My Soul: Reflections for the Lenten Journey” by Joyce Rupp. Ave Maria Press (Notre Dame, Indiana, 2020). 128 pp., $13.95.
Includes daily Scripture, meditation, prayer and intention to carry on through the day
- “Living Memento Mori: My Journey Through the Stations of the Cross” by Emily M. DeArdo. Ave Maria Press (Notre Dame, Indiana, 2020). 128 pp., $13.95.
Insight from a woman who has lived on the precipice of death and trusted in God’s providence
- “The Way of the Cross With St. John Paul II” by Fr. Herbert Niba. Our Sunday Visitor (Huntington, Indiana, 2019). 96 pp., $5.95.
General spiritual nourishment
- “A Lenten Journey With Mother Mary” by Fr. Edward Looney. Sophia Institute Press (Manchester, New Hampshire, 2020). 144 pp., $14.95.
Each week of Lent focuses on a theme from her apparitions and guides readers through a fruitful examination of conscience and prayer methods, especially for the healing of a broken heart
- “Small Simple Ways: An Ignatian Daybook for Healthy Spiritual Living” by Vinita Hampton Wright. Loyola Press (Chicago, 2019). 384 pp., $14.95.
Online retreat version also available
- “Drop Your Nets and Follow Jesus: How to Form Disciples for the New Evangelization” by Susan Muto. New City Press (Hyde Park, New York, 2019). 156 pp., $16.95.
- “Abide in the Heart of Christ: A 10-Day Personal Retreat With St. Ignatius Loyola” by Joseph Laramie, SJ. Ave Maria Press (Notre Dame, Indiana, 2019). 160 pp., $14.95.
- “Holy Angels Prayer Book,” from the Catholic Treasury Series, written and compiled by Mary Mark Wickenhiser, FSP. Pauline Books & Media (Boston, 2019). 176 pp., $17.95.
- “A Devotional Journey into the Easter Mystery: How Prayerful Participation in the Paschal Mystery Brings Life, Joy and Happiness” by Christopher Carstens. Sophia Institute Press (Manchester, New Hampshire, 2020). 225 pp., $18.95.
- “Saints at Heart: How Fault-Filled, Problem-Prone, Imperfect People Like Us Can Be Holy” by Bert Ghezzi. Paraclete Press (Brewster, Massachusetts, 2019). 174 pp., $14.99.
- “Encountering Mother Teresa” by Linda Schaefer. Our Sunday Visitor (Huntington, Indiana, 2019). 288 pp., $39.95.
- “Becoming Women of the Word: How to Answer God’s Call With Purpose and Joy” by Sarah Christmyer. Ave Maria Press (Notre Dame, Indiana, 2019). 160 pp., $15.95.
- “Holy Handmaids of the Lord: Women Saints Who Won the Battle for Souls” by Julie Onderko. Sophia Institute Press (Manchester, New Hampshire, 2019). 149 pp., $14.95.