Happy feast day to many of our local Catholics. Within the Phoenix Diocese you’ll find the Franciscan Renewal Center plus a mission, parish and school named after St. Francis of Assisi. You’ll also find Franciscan brothers, priests and sisters plus Third Order Franciscans.
Learn more about St. Francis of Assisi (the man), the 12th century founder of the Franciscan order. He’s also patron saint of animals, ecology, Italy and Merchants.
MISSION — SCOTTSDALE:
- St. Francis of Assisi Mission is part of the Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
- Located on Longmore Road north of Thomas Road in Scottsdale (map and Mass times)
- Canonically part of St. Jon the Baptist Parish in Laveen
- Also a similar mission in Ak-Chin. Some sources just call it “St. Francis Mission.”
FRANCISCAN RENEWAL CENTER — SCOTTSDALE:
- Celebrated 60th anniversary last year
- Will offer its popular blessing of the animals Oct. 20-21
- Offers an array of programs and retreats open to Catholics across Arizona including a Franciscan Mentor program
- Its Our Lady of the Angels, conventual church (under Franciscan not diocesan administration), was established in 2006 and now has 1,764 families
- Follow on Facebook
ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI (parish) — BAGDAD:
- Founded in 1959 as part of the Diocese of Gallup.
- Still a mining community with 35-50 families, largely because families wishing to own a home must live elsewhere and aren’t around for weekend liturgies.
SAN FRANCISCO DE ASÍS (parish/school) — FLAGSTAFF: