The Catholic Sun, the award-winning newspaper and website serving the Diocese of Phoenix, is seeking an editor. This position directs the editorial and production staff in planning and executing the day-to-day print and digital operations of The Catholic Sun.
The editor, who must be bilingual in English and Spanish, works closely with the director of communications/associate publisher, advertising sales, and the diocese’s radio and television teams to ensure a unified and cross-platform approach to engaging the Catholic faithful.
- Supervises, leads and coaches the Staff Writer, Graphic Designer and Circulation Specialist/Office Coordinator.
- Develops the life and growth of The Catholic Sun by promoting readership through a prudent balance of news, features, education and informed opinion pieces.
- Manages cyclical preparation of The Catholic Sun, including but not limited to: issue planning; story and photo assignments; website updates; pre-press design and production of each newspaper issue.
- Engages digital audiences and provides an effective Christian witness through an enthusiastic, creative and savvy approach to social media and integrates these tools into everyday workflow.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Spanish.
- A critical eye for news and the understanding of how Catholic media can inform, inspire and engage the Catholic faithful.
- An acute understanding of the changing news media landscape and outstanding editorial, digital, social and cross-platform management experience and skills.
- Working knowledge of Mac OS X, WordPress or an equivalent content management system, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, and other relevant web and social media applications.
- Skilled in reporting, editing, photography and newspaper page design.
To apply, please send cover letter and résumé to:
Diocese of Phoenix
400 East Monroe Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004