Celebrate World Day of Consecrated Life during #YCL15 by visiting an open house hosted by men and women religious who are serving in the Diocese of Phoenix.
- Religious Sisters of Mercy — 9:30 a.m.-noon Feb. 7 at 6329 N. 41st Ave. in Glendale. Women who are discerning religious life are particularly welcome to chat with the sisters to learn about consecrated life and the charism of mercy.
RSVP by Feb. 5 to firstname.lastname@example.org or (602) 368-2485.
- Desert Nuns (Poor Clare Sisters of Perpetual Adoration) — 9 a.m. Feb. 8. Mass followed by reception and open house at Our Lady of Solitude Monastery in Tonopah. Includes unique tour of future cloistered areas of the chapel and sharing of the architectural plans for the future monastery. Contact the sisters for good driving directions.
- Crosier Fathers and Brothers — 2:30-4:30 p.m. Feb. 8 at 2617 E. Campbell Ave. (map) in the Biltmore area of Phoenix (invitation). It’s across the street from St. Thomas the Apostle Parish. Discover the charism of the 805-year-old order and learn what it’s like to live in a religious community and minister to God’s people through an array of ministries.
You can journey along with Sr. Anthony Mary Diago, RSM, through this virtual tour of two religious communities serving the Diocese of Phoenix. Then contact them to see about a real visit or open house. The director for the diocesan Office of Consecrated Life recently visited sisters of the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity and Carmelite Missionaries of St. Therese of the Child Jesus.
You might also consider connecting with some of these resources:
- Waking up the World — It’s a new blog reflecting on consecrated life in the Diocese of Phoenix
- Giving Voice — It’s a peer-led organization that creates spaces for younger women religious to give voice to their hopes, dreams and challenges in religious life.
Some of its members host a retreat at Our Lady of Guadalupe Monastery in west Phoenix every year. Check out a reflection from the January retreat. It’s written by the author of “Diary of a Sister-in-Training.”
- Pope Francis’ letter to all consecrated people during the Year of Consecrated Life
Check out this bilingual video from Catholic Stuff about vocations:
And while it’s not a vocation event per se, if your schedule permits, consider spending part of a Friday evening with a SOLT Sister — Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity. Sr. Miriam James Heidland kicks off Catholic Devils Week at the All Saints Newman Center with a talk on authentic love.