This may be the closest thing to an encore performance. Young Arizona actors will perform select production numbers for a new audience May 21 as they compete for the ASU Gammage High School Musical Awards.
Actors from Bourgade Cahtolic High School, Notre Dame Preparatory in Scottsdale and Seton Catholic Preparatory in Chandler are among the 17 schools expected to compete. Local theatre professionals, teachers and enthusiasts will serve as judges.
Bourgade actors will present a number from “Godspell.” Notre Dame actors will sing “Time Stops” from the circus scene of “Big Fish” and Seton actors will perform “We Go Together” at the Rydell High carnival.
The best-lead winners will compete in the National High School Musical Theater Program in New York City where they will work with Broadway professionals.
( *denotes a win)
Best Overall Production — Bourgade Catholic (“Godspell”), Notre Dame (“Big Fish”)
- Best Male lead — Matthew Eads from Bourgade Catholic, Hale Stewart from Notre Dame, Weston Boardman from Seton (Kenickie in “Grease”)
- Best female lead — Anna Sera* from Notre Dame (photos from awards night), Sarah Kunz from Seton (Sandy in “Grease”)
- Best Supporting Actor — Chris Lukaszewski from Bourgade Catholic, Keegan Luther from Notre Dame, Ben Leach from Seton (Sonny in “Grease”)
- Best Supporting Actress — Julissa Garcia from Bourgade Catholic, Gabi Johnson from Notre Dame, Kacee Roberts from Seton (Patty in “Grease”)
- Best Dancer — Lexie Yunger from Notre Dame, Anna Cortabitarte from Seton (Cha Cha in “Grease”)
- Best Vocalist — Matthew Eads from Bourgade Catholic, Anna Sera from Notre Dame, Sarah Kunz from Seton
- Best Tech- Set — Michael Castro from Bourgade Catholic
- Best Tech- Sound — Brennan Kuhman from Bourgade Catholic
- Best Tech- Lighting — Brennan Kuhman from Bourgade Catholic
- Best Tech- Costumes — Krystina Vargas and Lauren Kuhman from Bourgade Catholic
- Best Tech-Hair/ Makeup — Sienna Christie from Bourgade Catholic
- Best Stage Manager technical award — Tamara Palatrone from Bourgade Catholic, Elizabeth McSorley from Notre Dame
- Gammage Scholarship — Matthew Eads and Julissa Garcia from Bourgade Catholic
“I remain so proud of these kids and our entire production of ‘Grease,’” said Bridget O’Neill, Seton drama director and English Department chair. “The ASU musical theater showcase is allowing performers and audiences alike one more taste of our exuberant production.”
ASU Gammage High School Musical Awards
What: A musical theatre competition/showcase from high school musical productions including 9 to 5, All Shook Up, Big Fish, Chess, Footloose, Frankenstein: A New Musical, Godspell, Grease, Hairspray, Little Shop of Horrors, Meet Me in St. Louis, Peter Pan, Sound of Music, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, The Addams Family, The Sound of Music and Urinetown
When: 7 p.m. May 21
Where: ASU Gammage in Tempe
Info: Tickets are general seating