St. Frances Cabrini Parish in Camp Verde celebrates its patron’s feast day today and the church’s 50th anniversary this year. Read a feast day blessing. Then learn more about the parish and foundress of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
- Founded in 1962 and remains the only Catholic church in Camp Verde. Church sits on 9.45 acres.
- Serves 250 families. Run by SOLT priests.
- First Mass celebrated Jun 3, 1962 at the best place the 14 Catholics and Fr. Samuel Wilson could find space… the local jail. More parish history.
- By the time the church was built, it became the first worship space officially dedicated in the newly formed Diocese of Phoenix. It was dedicated Feb. 22, 1970 and two years later, underwent an expansion of the sanctuary.
- Born July 15, 1850 in Italy. Died in 1917.
- She was the 10th of 11 kids, but only four survived through adolescence. Their father often told stories of missionaries, which inspired her. She would later add “Xavier” to her name after the Jesuit who evangelized the Orient, one of the stories that particularly impressed her, according to Mother Cabrini’s life story.
- Once taught in a private school established by her sister. Would later open U.S. schools including in Newark, New Jersey, New York, Seattle and California. All told, worldwide, the parish website said she opened 67 schools.
- At age 30, founded the Institute of Missionaries of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on November 14, 1880.
- Her legacy lives on through the Cabrini Mission Corps (which celebrated its 20th anniversary this summer), lay missionaries and Cabrini Companions. There’s also a Cabrini Mission Foundation. Connect with any/all branches of the Cabrini community.
- Canonized in 1946.