Need some ideas for praying or acting through Lent? Here is what has passed through our inboxes and news feeds lately:
- #ShareJesus — You’ll receive a 2-3-minute video every day inviting a deeper look at who Jesus is. They’re intended to spark a discussion via social media.
Shared by All Saints Catholic Parish in Mesa
- Papal ideas — A FOCUS blogpost highlighted ideas from Pope Francis’ Lenten messages and homilies the last two years.
- Cuaresma — The Diocese of Little Rock connects Spanish-speaking Catholics with resources for the season.
- Lent book — ’40 Days, 40 Ways: A New Look at Lent,’ offers ideas, activities and devotions — paired with short reflections — designed to strengthen a Catholic’s spiritual life.
- Season of Lent — St. Mary of the Annunciation, a parish in Mundelein, IL, offers an array of resources including a Lent overview/refresher, prayers and spiritual devotions, app recommendations, guiding children and teens through the journey and cooking.
- Practical fasting — Skim these 101 ideas neatly broken down into categories like: the usual, prayer, for Internet users, for those who need to be more grateful, those with lives out of balance, those seeking further parish engagement, etc.
Courtesy of a 2014 post from Immaculate Heart Radio and via Catholic School Chronicle.
- Giving alms — Presented neatly in beginner, intermediate and advanced challenges.
- Daily Lent reflections from Fr. Robert Barron — Available in English and Spanish and delivered to your inbox. Includes daily reflections, exclusive video content, special discounts and free giveaways.
Shared by St. Jerome Parish and School and Catholics Come Home
- Lenten podcasts — Listen to weekly reflections — they’re all posted now — from a Sister of Mercy who works in Catholic healthcare, but is a poet and spiritual writer at heart. For those who would rather follow along or read on their own, the full text is available via .doc and .pdf downloads.
- Praying Lent — a ministry of Creighton University. Features backgrounders, daily prayers, audio conversations of various lengths and more.
- CRS Rice Bowl — Available online and as an app.
The Catholic Sun has traveled to and reported on at least four of the countries CRS helps in recent years. When you watch the video, note the man who describes the location of Niger. The Catholic Sun was there in 2012.
Buy a CRS Ricebowl Centerpiece. It’s a supper kit made by artisans and farmers who earned a just wage for their efforts.
- Catholicmom.com — Links to articles, children activities, religious education activities, family recipes and more.
Read how one Catholic woman uses her iPhone to “chime like the bell of a monastery” as a reminder to pray.
- Holy Heroes — Lent and Easter activities for kids ages 5-12. You’ll receive three emails a week, short videos, activity pages, quizzes and a code for the Lenten activity map.
- Life Teen — Count on worthy fasting ideas and food for thought.
- Restore — An online Lenten retreat aimed at nurturing a heart of joy. (Note: a fee is involved) Aimed at Catholics, particularly women, who feel burned out, boxed in and beat up. It involves a little reading, some meditation, five podcasts so the growth time won’t be so lonely and simple action items.
(Ignore the start date. The video is from last year and uses last year’s date)
- USCCB — The daily calendar with Scripture and meditations or actions will be up shortly. For now, check out the resources that includes prayer, videos, saints, 10 reminders, Stations of the Cross and more.
- Catholicicing.com — Filled with family-friendly activities and crafts.